console -- serial console

Maillet, Jean-Baptiste Jean-Baptiste.Maillet at eads-telecom.com
Thu Oct 24 09:52:40 UTC 2002

	----------
	De:  Gregory Matus [SMTP:gregmatu at poczta.onet.pl]
	Date d'envoi:  mercredi 23 octobre 2002 20:06
	A:  rtems-users at OARcorp.com
	Objet:  console -- serial console

	Hi all,
	Lately I've asked about setup of FreeBSD box connecting with rtems
	box via serial connection. Thank you all for advices.

	I have next question:
	My rtems box(pc386) have no monitor but I want to use serial
connection
	between them and freebsd box to see what rtems is doing.

	Do I need to change define of BSPConsolePort (in
pc386/console/console.h) from
	BSP_CONSOLE_PORT_CONSOLE to BSP_UART_COMx  in order to talk with
rtems ??
	And of course to build rtems?

	Or maybe is other way?

	And what is the meaning of define BSPBaseBaud in this a.m. file?
	Is it realy (it is defined to 115200) serial connection speed?

	It looks like. I saw this in other BSP too (efi332). I don't think
it's a good habit because:
-	old UART do not support this and yes there are still some in use
(for Intel they appeared with some 486 I think)
-	this is not standard, as many if not all pieces of serial
equipment/software will takes 9600/8N1 for default
-	if you have to solder a cable by yourself or use a long one problems
show esealy at such speed.
	So I suggest you take that down to 9600 and rebuild, you'll have all
the time to do some test at higher speeds later on and you don't want to
bring a potential source of pb at this point.
	(just my advice)

	I have RTEMS 4.5.0 release and no this elegant tty_drv.:-(

	Unless you have some specific and good reasons (and if you're just
starting out you don't) you shoudn't work with this old release.
	Use a recent snapshot instead.
	It will also help others to answer your questions: sources move.

	Gregory Matus
	mailto: gregmatu at poczta.onet.pl