RTCC, licencing issue & the ticker problem

Thu Apr 3 14:05:48 UTC 2003

Angelo Fraietta wrote:

> Salman wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >With thanks to all, I managed to successfully finish my final year
> >project aimed at implementing an RTCC (real-time compute cluster).
> >
> >In simple terms, ported SCI drivers on RTEMS, and wrote a simple
> >application (with inclusion of shared lock) for cluster computing.
> >(on pc386 bsp)
> >
> >I still have to tidy up the source code, but it shouldn't take long.
> >
> >1. Unfortunately since driver includes some Dolphin SCI driver files, it
> >would, I presume, (overall) be GPL licenced.
> >Has anyone come up with any ideas as to what is best to do with these
> >GPL licenced stuff?
> >My suggestion would be for Joel to setup a page on his website
> >indicating the GPL (and other) licenced codes which are implemented for
> >RTEMS plus their source code.
> >In this way, we can have the RTEMS as before, but users are advised to
> >look at Joel's website for additional code with various licences.

We don't mind putting it in contrib since users have to make a conscious
decision to utilitze those.  It is just things that are merged into
the rtems tarball and installed directly with RTEMS that we are
really careful about.  The combination of the gcc runtime libraries,
the base RTEMS package, and newlib should be clean of license
implications
for end users.  Anything in contrib is fair game as long as it can
legally be redistributed.

> >2. I am still hacking around a problem which i'm experiencing with the
> >pc386 bsp and my drivers.
> >It seems that the ticker example is a shorter version which can
> >re-produce the problem (as discovered by Angelo Fraietta as well).
> >Has anyone been able to identify or resolve the problem? or is this
> >common to just Angelo and I?
> >(FYI my host is linux and I'm using RTEMS Version ss-20030128)
> >
> No, others have had this problem also. I have found that using gcc 3.2 instead of 3.2.1 worked for me.

I must have missed a resolution to this.  What is different about the
executable?
I have 3.2.2 RPMs about to go out on the ftp site.  What is the easiest
way to confirm that this is or is not a problem in that?

And (more importantly) 3.2.3 is in the final stages of freezing.  What
is
the problem so it can be resolved?

I have the 3.2 branch checked out.  If you email me some instructions on
the configure command, I can use the 3.2-branch to produce an executable
and you can see if it does the same thing.