papers on rtems applications was re offlist re test

Angelo Fraietta angelo_f at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 11 23:04:55 UTC 2003

joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com wrote:

> These papers are are now int he references list at:
>
> http://www.rtems.com/refs.html

Fraietta, Angelo. "The Smart Controller."
<http://www.amcoz.com.au/sa-62.htm> Sounds Unlimited: building the
instruments: Sounds Australian -- Journal of the Australian Music
Centre, no. 62 (2003): 22.

should be moved up to 2003

> http://www.rtems.com/apps.html

My project is not listed on that page. Below is a description. If you
want me to shorten it, let me know to what degree.

The Smart Controller is a portable hardware device that allows
performers to create music using Programmable Logic Control. The device
can be programmed remotely through the use of a Patch Editor, which is
an independent computer application that simulates and communicates with
the hardware. The Smart Controller responds to input control voltage and
MIDI messages, producing output control voltage and MIDI messages
(depending upon the patch).

The device allows users to create musical textures and events by piecing
virtual objects together with patch cables on the computer screen,
similar to the way a person might join pieces from a Mechano set to
create a truck, train, crane, ... etc.   With the Mechano set a truck
might be created by joining metal panels with bolts, adding wheels,
windows, motor, ... etc., which is just putting together pre-fabricated
materials in a meaningful way to produce a desired result.  Smart
Controller allows the user to create in a similar way by connecting
counters, delays, metronomes, flip-flops, calculators, and other such
devices.

The Smart Controller is a stand alone device -- a powerful, reliable,
and compact instrument -- capable of reducing the number of electronic
modules required, particularly the requirement of a laptop computer, in
a live performance.

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859