RTEMS network autoconfiguration

Nigel Spon nigel at adi.co.nz
Tue Jan 14 23:25:24 UTC 2003

I'm looking at the RTEMS networking code with an eye to making it
auto-configuring and discoverable using the Zeroconf proposals and
Apples Rendezvous system (see
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/), as these strike me as
being a Good Thing for an embedded system using IP. This involves
fiddling with the ARP code and (I think) writing a network daemon that
will sit in the background making sure no-one else tries to steal the
autoconfigured IP, plus watching for a DHCP server turning up and
providing a routable address. Beyond that it involves porting a
link-local DNS server for which Apple provides source -- this looks to
be easy.

Before I get too far into this,  has anyone else already addressed
these issues, or done any work on a DHCP client daemon that can cope
with renewing/releasing leases?

---
“Now, the objective of this expedition is to attempt to find some trace
of last years expedition.”

Nigel Spon
ADInstruments Ltd, Dunedin, NZ