RTEMS on Altera NIOS processor

Steven Grunza steven_grunza at ieee.org
Thu Oct 2 14:04:01 UTC 2003

For what it's worth we looked at both the MicroBlaze and the NIOS for a
project here.  Neither had the performance we needed (we ended up using a
hardcore processor) but in comparing MicroBlaze to NIOS, the NIOS seemed to
be a few years ahead of MicroBlaze in terms of usability and readiness for
production use.

PS
   We use Altera logic here, not Xilinx, so I may have a slight bias
towards Altera stuff but the MicroBlaze V2.1 really seemed to be too early
for production use.  MicroBlaze V2.2 completely broke the development
station.  YMMV but I recommend trying it before buying it...