rtems gdb/insight to jtag

-boggy boggy at elab.tmf.bg.ac.yu
Tue Aug 31 19:32:36 UTC 2004

Hello Gene,

We use:

1. debug-cable and gdb with patch included (possibly) somewhere in the
RTEMS "contrib" space for Motorola's MC68360 (or some of Pavel Pisa's
patches, I don't remember... but I'will try to find what we use if you
need this processor...)
please find link for MC68360SCH1 in this page,
http://www.mot-sps.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC68360&nodeId=01DFTQGL2n
if you need schematic...

2. debug-cable and gdb with bdm4gdb patch for
Motorola's MPC860 (http://www.vas-gmbh.de/software/mpcbdm/ < patch and
cable schematic is included in tar.gz)

This cables cost about 50EUR, but that interfaces
are very simple (about two HC chips + possibly some diodes and
transistors... we built all of this in our labs... nothing special
we have one cable per software or hardware engineer, and this is good...)

3. Now, we use BDI2000 with firmwares for MPC860 and MPC8260.

All of this tools works well...

Cheap cables are slow for upload large images and debugging, but it works...

We buy BDI2000 because we don't have any freely available cables for MPC
8260, but this "cable" is very fast... and, because this, we also buy a
firmware for MPC860...  but we have single BDI2000 hardware, and this is
enough...

We have success with it in both operating systems we use in our
boards... RTEMS and Linux (for Linux especially, listed cheap debugger
cables is better than more other "cheap" debuggers available in the
market)... and gdb is probably more than 60% "secret" of this success....

We also build some good software routines for production testing...
and BDM cable is our only one tool for this...

With good hardware debugging interface (BDM or JTAG), gdb is great tool,
not only for software debugging but also for hardware debugging, for
any new and prototype board... at end, I'm hardware engineer only :).

Best regards

-boggy