More on MCF5307C3 - NE2000 network driver

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 8 03:29:37 UTC 2004

Chris Xenophontos writes:
 > Thanks, Greg-
 > there are printf's, that indicate when the daemon wakes up(TX or RX
 > interrupt).  I hooked up a scope, and noticed that when the network task
 > quits, the interrupt is no longer asserted by the DM9008 chip -- normally,
 > you can see IRQ3 pulse low, i.e, during network activity.  When it quits,
 > IRQ3 no longer pulses but stays high.
 >
 > Now I'm wondering if the ISR (ns8390_interrupt_handler) is getting trashed
 > or if the DM9008 chip is being reset somehow(??) and not generating the
 > interrupt. We have several boards that behave exactly the same with this
 > application.

My guess is the isr isn't getting the hardware set up for the next
interrupt when it exits.  I'd guess the network task is sitting there
waiting for the next wakeup- either a rx interrupt or a tx from the
stack.

I don't know how the ne2k arranges packet descriptors et al, but
perhaps it wants a circular list of packet descriptors and the list
the driver is supplying isn't, so the controller runs off the end and
quits.  I had quite a time with that sort of thing when I was working
on the elnk and dec21140 drivers...

Gregm