RTEMS on AVR?

Paul Evans paule at martexdesign.com
Thu Aug 4 15:02:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've talked to Atmel in the past about the price of the SAM7 vs. the AVR,
and the rule if thumb is about twice the cost. That's not to say the SAM7
isn't attractive in absolute cost terms, but for higher volume applications
the AVR (which is a smaller die and has no IP licensing) will cost less.

In applications where 16K of RAM is enough, I agree that a "micro RTEMS"
would be a great alternative to Salvo or UCOS. Having used RTEMS on a 68K
with 128K RAM I think it should be possible, especially if not all the
managers are used (just semaphores, queues, and the scheduler perhaps?)

Just my $0.02

	-Paul