Developent Environments for RTEMS

Alan Cudmore Alan.P.Cudmore at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 26 16:36:39 UTC 2005

This is a promising Eclipse project for embedded systems:
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/
This project aims to create a standard set of target/host debug and
communication tools for eclipse.
If this project is successful, we could talk to an RTEMS target just
as easily as you can talk to a vxWorks or Linux target from various
debug tools.
It would go a long way to making RTEMS more of a drop in replacement
for commercial RTOSs. Suitable for the other 90% of the users that
just want to know "where do I click my mouse?" ( Not us, of course:)

Along the same lines, the vxWorks tools are opening up to the point
that you can write a Target server back end for RTEMS and talk to the
Wind River "workbench" (formerly tornado). They claim that they have
done this for a non vxWorks OS.

Alan