I386-PC586 on Dil/NetPC

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Jun 23 02:11:43 UTC 2005

Valentin Buergel wrote:

> I checked bsp.h but could not find anything relevant to
> BSP_CONSOLE_PORT_CONSOLE. But I changed CONFIGURE_NUMBER_OF_TERMIOS_PORTS
> from 1 to 2. Does still not work.

This is what I get looking at the 4.7 source in cvs. I am sure it is the
same in 4.6:

$ grep BSP_CONSOLE_PORT_CONSOLE \
           c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/include/bsp.h
#define BSP_CONSOLE_PORT_CONSOLE (-1)

> I use RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH=/opt/rtems-4.6/i386-rtems/pc586 to compile
> hello.exe.

Ok.

> I realized that hello.exe does not work in bochs as well.

Interesting.

I have found printk has a few problems. For example I found this code works:

  printk ("test: %d", 12345678);

yet:

  printk ("test: %5d", 12345678);

failed with a crash, lockup or moving cursor. If we have code in the BSP
or RTEMS which triggers this sort of bug a crash might occur. Maybe your
hardware is triggering this bug. I found it by booting a working
application on a box with 1.25G of RAM. I was printing the amount of RAM
in KBs.

If someone knows the printk code in libcsupport and could take a look it
would be welcome. I have raised PR808.

> Therefore I
> downloaded the grub144.gz image again that contains the hello.exe. Hello.exe
> from grub144 runs fine in bochs! I copied the hello.exe from grub144 to my
> GRUB-image. This runs fine too! But I realized the following:
>
> Hello.exe on grub144:
> - Size 65.2KB
> - Loads as "NetBSD-a.out"
>
> Hello.exe on my GRUB-image:
> - Size 120.7KB
> - Loads as "Multiboot-elf"
>
> Why does the hello.exe on grub144 image have another format ("NetBSD-a.out")?

Not sure. I wonder if it is built with older tools sets.

> Is this relevant to my problem? What do I have to do to get the
> "NetBSD-a.out" format?

I do not think so. I can download with the latest grub loading as
multiboot. I have a 1GHz PC with an eepro card with an on board PXE
loader. I use it to load grub over the network then grub to load the
image also over the network. It is a multiboot-elf image.

--
  Chris Johns