What Cygwin Modules needed?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sat Nov 12 21:45:56 UTC 2005

Bogdan Vacaliuc wrote:

> Also note Chris John's work with MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/) and RTEMS.
> I believe Chris builds under this environment.

I have found MinGW excellent for building tools for Windows users. I
build the tools on Linux not Windows. It has the advantages of:

  1. MinGW binaries run on all Windows versions I have tried. This is
     95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP.
  2. Error messages with paths such as include files are Windows
     paths so IDE tools can find the file. The paths are not a
     Cygwin path that can confuse native Windows IDEs.
  3. The performance is excellent and building large projects
     is not a problem. I have built a full m68k multilib RTEMS
     from source on Window 95 as a test.
  4. You can build all parts from source, including the MinGW
     libraries on Linux, and the MinGW source is small.

I have clients building within Microsoft Visual Studio with MinGW tools
and autotools based projects. This is using the external Makefile
project, Msys, and a small shell script.

I should point out autotools does require Msys which is a variant of the
Cygwin DLL.

Chris