Too many tool versions, all different

Mon Oct 24 20:35:10 UTC 2005

Peter Dufault wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Peter Dufault wrote:
>>
>>> It's really confusing trying to figure out what tools to use.
>>> I'm trying to setup a Solaris 10 system for a client for  4.6.99.2,
>>> including all source for development.
>>> 1. The tool versions in ftp://ftp.rtems.com/pub/rtems/4.6.99.2/
>>> TOOLVERSIONS don't match the tool versions in FTP://ftp.rtems.com/
>>> pub/ rtems/SOURCES;
>>>

>> Someone reported this last week.  I thought I had fixed this.  What
>> in particular is missing?
>

> Maybe they do given that the "-N" doesn't mean the number of patches
> applied.  automake 1.9.6-0 is missing, though.
>

>>> 2. pub/solaris/rtems-4.7 has other versions, and is from 1 year  ago
>>> June, so that's no where to look;
>>>

>> Solaris tools have not been built in a while and I do not not when  or
>> if they will be built again.
>

> Maybe just remove that directory then?  I doubt an old 4.7 snapshot
> helps and it confuses things.

Probably not but RTEMS is a packrat project. :)

I don't have any way to do extensive testing on Solaris tools but can
probably still build them.  They are built canadian cross on a GNU/Linux
box.

>> You will never see 4 patch files to the same source tarball.  The  -4
>> indicates it is the fourth revision of the RTEMS autoconf 2.59
>> package.  Very likely -1 did not have any patches.  Revisions -2  and
>> -3 could have been earlier versions of changes or packaging  mistakes
>> that resulted in having to not distribute the RPM.
>

> I think -0 had no patches and -1 one patch.  Maybe either remove old
> patch files and add a README to say what patch goes to what -N, or
> always leave them so the number matches?  Right now it's a mixture -
> some old patches are still there and others must have been removed.

What makes you think old patches have been removed?  Say I was building
  Peter-1.3-3 and realized something was wrong with the patch,
packaging., or maybe I was just using the wrong compiler.  To keep from
accidentally releasing a bad -3 set, I will trash my work and bump the
version to -4.    A package could get to a fairly high revision count
with only one or two patch sets if Ralf and I were trying fix spec file
problems.

> Anyway, another difference is that TOOL_VERSIONS says Autoconf 2.59-3
> and the email says 2.59-4.

The TOOL_VERSIONS is always what was current when that version was cut.
  It looks like the autoconf RPM has been revved since then.

-4 is on the ftp site and automake 1.9.6-0 is there.