Help! - Compilation error for mips-rtems tools under Cygwin

Wed Sep 14 18:15:43 UTC 2005

Keith Siders wrote:
> Sorry for the long delay.
>
> 1. Yes, I did "make -k install" on binutils after
> building it, so I assume everything went well. Got
> lots of screen dump, nothing indicated failure of any
> kind.
>
> 2. At first I did not have the path in cygwin.bat, but
> I went back and put it in, restarted the shell, found
> that all the normal *nix paths (/bin:/usr/bin: etc...)
> still preceeded it. So I modified the user profile to
> prepend any previous paths, got /gcc-mips-rtems/bin as
> the first path, and it still made the same complaint.
>
> $ echo $PATH
> /gcc-mips-rtems/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program
> Files/doxygen/bin:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/ATT/Graphviz/bin:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/ATT/Graphviz/bin/tools:/cygdrive/c/Program
> Files/cvsnt:.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> sidersk at siders-desk /source
> $
>
> I also see that I have '.' in the path, and I think
> it's' coming from the DOS environment being passed in.
> I've looked in various "old" DOS world .bat and .sys
> files for the path info (I have more than shown here)
> and I cannot seem to locate where this part of the
> path is being set.
>
> But since '.' is at the point /build/gcc/ or below,
> should this be a problem?
>
> Oh, and thanks to everyone for your help!

Before you build, start a fresh shell and "echo $PATH".
type mips-rtems4.7-gcc.  Make sure they are what you think
they should be.

It is best to have a VERY clean environment when using Cygwin.
You need to get rid of the Windows parts of the PATH as well
as "." It is a security risk even if it isn't causing this.

Also do an "env" command and make sure LIB, CC, and anything
else that looks like it might be related to building software
relates to Cygwin not Windows.

--joel