WikiWish - Documentation Accessiblity Concern - NON-TECHNICAL

Robert S. Grimes rsg at ll.mit.edu
Thu Jul 13 12:53:19 UTC 2006

Okay, in a way I hate to do this, as I'm voicing a complaint with no
obvious solution, nor no clear idea of how, as a RTEMS novice, I can
help.  On the other hand, it feels like it might be helpful in the long
run, and as I get started in earnest next month with actually using
RTEMS, perhaps opportunities to help will present themselves to me.

Sorry for the long disclaimer, but my complaint is that there are no
great table of contents or index or guide to some of the most useful
pages on the Wiki.  I've looked at the Wiki from time to time, and it
certainly has grown in leaps and bounds since the early days several
years ago, but I'm constantly seeing references in the mailing lists to
pages I didn't know existed.  The most recent example is the Capture
Engine thread from the last few days.  Now here is a great tool that,
until this thread, I had no idea existed.  Now it is true that I could
have found it from the main page, by going first to DebuggingHints, and
seeing the reference to it under "Debugging a BSP", but a) the
description there is very vague, and b) if I'm using an existing BSP
that works, and trying to debug my application that doesn't, I'm not
sure I would have picked up on it.

So, this is really a complaint that applies to Wikis in general.  I know
my few forays into Wiki deployments have suffered from the same
problem!  What can we do to improve the accessibility of all the useful
information?  What can I do?  Am I the only one who cares?

Thanks!
-Bob

P.S. The new RTEMSReferences page is a great idea - thanks Joel!  If I
ever end up publishing an appropriate paper, I'll be sure to include it
there!