Support for the ne2000 (1)

Alexandre Constantino alexandre.constantino at edisoft.pt
Mon Oct 23 13:44:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

For whatever wicked reason QEMU doesn't like networking with RTEMS... At
least on my computer.
I can get network support in QEMU for a Linux guest (e.g. ping both
ways, ftp access)... But not for RTEMS guest. I'm using a tap0 interface
created dynamically by QEMU.

As for buffers, etc:
	#define CONFIGURE_EXECUTIVE_RAM_SIZE	(4096*1024)

	(128*1024),		/* Default mbuf capacity */
	(16*128*1024),	/* Default mbuf cluster capacity */
I have tried other values before, but after reading Gregory Menke's
recent message on this, i though that could be the case... But it
doesn't seem so.

	// QEMU:  I/O 0x300, IRQ 9
	// Bochs: I/O 0x240, IRQ 9

Packets are not lost in Bochs (as i previously said) but instead these
get increadibly lagged. I got one daemon accounting for the bytes sent
by netdemo and they match.
The reason for this seems to be due to the repeated resets the card is
sujected to. I'm contantly getting "ne2000: device timeout" and
"ne_init_hardware()" messages. I debuged the code and concluded that
these have origin in ne_watchdog, which is a timeout routine called when
"the device neglects to generate an interrupt after a transmit has been
started on it."
Why this happens i don't know, but i speculate it to be some issue with
Bochs networking... Maybe Bochs network layer is not solid/fast enough?

One strange issue i noticed was that i was unable to telnet when using a
debug version of RTEMS.

Sorry for not replying to your message before, but a higher priority
task kept me busy during this last days.

Thanks.
Alexandre