RTEMS + PS3

Steven Johnson sjohnson at sakuraindustries.com
Thu Aug 23 19:30:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

As you may or may not be aware, the PS3 has the ability to have an
"other os" installed on it, basically this means sony have given
homebrew developers a way to write native code for the PS3, this code
runs under the PS3's Hypervisor, so its access to hardware is "managed",
but otherwise its just code running on the bare PS3 CPU.

I am considering porting an RTEMS application of mine to it, because it
is cheap consistent hardware which is very good at media applications,
which is what my application needs.

My question is, the PS3 has a dual thread PPC64 cpu (plus some other
stuff we wont worry about at the moment).  Are there any examples of
RTEMS running on processors with multiple hardware threads?  If not what
should I watch out for in this port, as I want to use both hardware
threads for maximum performance.

Are there any other suggestions before I embark on this port?

I know there are Fat file system drivers in RTEMS at the moment, what
about other file systems, like ext2, are there any projects implementing
those yet?

Thanks,
Steven