MacOS Tools

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Aug 29 20:04:49 UTC 2007

Peer Stritzinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not responsible for these ports.

I think James Houseley did them originally.
> However I'm working on MacOS and FreeBSD.  Currently I'm using FreeBSD
> for RTEMS development but always thought it would be a good to be able
> to use MacOS too.
>
> So if the MacOS tool port is orphaned, I could imagine to take it over
> or start a new one.
>
> MacPorts is IMHO a very good way to "package" the tools.

Currently under rtems/contrib, there is an autoconf infrastructure
for building the RPM specifications.  Shouldn't it be possible to
also generate ports files in a similar manner with the same raw
information about tool versions and patches?

> In addition having *.dmg Mac Disk Images for installation would
> certainly be interesting
> for many users that don't know MacPorts.

I'm completely ignorant here.  DMG looks like a disk image file
format similar to .iso files.  Do you just open them and drag the
contents to the hard disk?  Is there some other magic involved
that I am missing?

--joel