4.9.0 with shell via telnetd - new telnetd issue - SOLVED

Fri Dec 19 16:58:01 UTC 2008

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. This shell is great!  Why didn't I realize it was around
>>> sooner?  I had been using the RTEMS monitor - is that a precursor?
>>>

>> A cousin.  But we are trying to merge and share overlapping
>> functionality
>>
>> The shell has been there a long time but between 4.8 and 4.9
>> Chris Johns and myself spent a LOT of time improving it and
>> adding commands.  I also wrote the manual.
>>
> The manual is new, right?  I suspect I didn't know of it because it
> wasn't exposed at that level (i.e. part of the standard documentation set)?

The manual is new but it is linked to at the bottom of the "C/C++" section.

http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs//doc-current/share/rtems/html/index.html
> If I can get some time next week, I'll write up what I did on my two
> applications, which is basically what Alan and Gene posted, and put it
> on the wiki.  Not sure where to put it - probably the HowTo page.
> Hopefully, those you and/or Chris will be able to review it for
> accuracy, in case of errors on my part.

Probably a new HowTo is the right approach.

Any bugs in the shell manual need to be fixed as well.
>> Commands are easy to add and easy to improve.  If you
>> have an idea, run with it.
>>
> I like this!  I'll be using it as heavily as time permits, I'm sure!

Chris and I grew it in parallel as we worked on different
applications. The user I am helping has hooked in custom
commands to peer into their application.

--joel