4.9.0 with shell via telnetd - new telnetd issue - SOLVED

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Fri Dec 19 22:03:25 UTC 2008

Robert S. Grimes wrote, On 12/18/2008 07:24 PM:
> Plain old "Microsoft Telnet".  I made sure localecho is off, tried both
> crlf modes, both console and stream modes, and ansi/vt100 terminals.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> But note again, the shell is processing two enter keys, even though I
> only hit one.  But wait!  I just realized, it isn't processing two each
> of the other keys.  Now I'm really confused...  So time to try something
> different...

I see the same thing with ms telnet program that I just tried the other
day. Local echo on or off or terminal type made no difference. Works
fine with linux and cygwin telnet (which are probably the same gnu
code). Years back, I think I noticed with tcpdump that dos telnet sent
each chars separately in a tcp message while gnu telnet buffered the
whole line before sending. Not sure if this has anything to do with the
double chars displayed.
-gene