linux/posix port compiling problem

Wed Apr 15 19:30:14 UTC 2009

Wei-Tsun Sun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:45:20 +0200
> Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
>

>> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at the patch, it looks like it boils down to 3 things:
>>>
>>> + disable shell for posix port (easier to drop it from building at all).
>>>
>> Well, rtems shell got infected with with newlib-proprietary,
>> non-portable construct.
>>

> I am not very familiar with libmisc yet, but `shell` looks an important thing to me, or it does not look like its name to be...as a proper shell ?

It is a small but more or less proper shell.  The issue it not
with the code you are trying to compile.  But the fact that the
unix port is to a "synthetic" target -- not real hardware.  It is
using the native unix libc.  Much of RTEMS is not buildable in
this environment -- including the shell, BSD TCP/IP stack and the
entire POSIX thread interface.

If you want a more proper RTEMS experience switch to
a real port (e.g. i386-rtems4.10) and run the RTEMS executables
on a simulator or real hardware.