Getting started with CAN on RTEMS

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Sat Feb 7 15:38:06 UTC 2009

I'm discussing splitting an application from a "bucket of VME" cards
to a more distributed system.  In particular, we're talking about
moving some of our motor control applications out into nodes in a CAN
network.  Our current bucket-master is the MVME5500, so I'm looking at
PMC (PCI Mezzanine Cards) for its CAN interface, in particular, either
the TEWS Technologies TPMC810-10 (based on the Philips SJA1000) or the
TPMC816-10 (Intel 82527).

Is anyone using either of those cards, or a different PMC card, for
CAM with RTEMS?  Which is easier in terms of getting support in RTEMS?

Currently I don't believe there is anything in the RTEMS source code
base to provide an overall CAM infrastructure.

I've seen both lincam from Ocera (http://www.ocera.org) and
CanFestival (http://www.canfestival.org/) discussed.  Does anyone have
recent work to report?

Can someone recommend some good reading material for getting up to
speed on this, and should I also look at getting some Linux tools for
learning and exercising things?  We'll probably initially split the
application into two MVME5500 systems and then move to a micro-
controller with CAM mastered by the existing VME controller.

Peter

name from a search engine point of view)