Weird problem on rs232 vs USB-serial...

Steven Grunza grunza at ulticom.com
Mon Feb 23 19:23:25 UTC 2009

My first suggestion would be to use a Voltmeter to measure the Voltage
on the PC's COM1.  Assuming a DB9 connection you should see -5V or more
between pins 3 and 5.  If you have a DB25 then check between pins 2 and
7.

Back in the old days (before Maxim's MAX232 and similar chips) it wasn't
unusual for a cheap RS-232 interface to "steal" negative Voltage power
from the other end of the connection.  This usually worked well unless
the data rate was too high or the other end was also trying to "steal"
negative Voltage power.  I know of some Tandy machines that used this
trick.

The USB part probably uses either a Maxim or other vendor's RS-232
interface powered from the 5V available on the USB interface.

That's it for my USD 0.02