mvme6100 support

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Fri Jul 17 11:06:25 UTC 2009

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Feng, Kate wrote:
>> I wrote and upgraded the mvme5500 BSP to disco BSP to support the
>> mvme6100 board.  At that time, the performance of the network on
>> the mvme6100 board was not important, but the decision for the
>> choice of H/W for my project was urgent.  Thus, the code for
>> the network is not really ready for a formal release yet.  It seems
>> that the
>> network code for beatnik BSP needs to be  optimized or rewritten  as
>> well
>> based on the version I obtained from Till Straumann a while ago.  I
>> do not know if he had any chance to improve the netowrk
>> performance ever since then.
> So .. it should work to ...
>
> a) build for mvme5500 and run on mvme6100?
Not the mvme5500 BSP  in the current RTEMS release.
I could rename "disco" BSP  back to "mvme5500" BSP
for the RTEMS release, except the network driver was/is
really not ready for the open release yet.
> b) add alias to build for mvme6100 and fix x odd
>     issues for mvme6100
>
> Does this mean the network driver works?  How
> bad is "not optimized" really?

Yes, the network driver for the mvme6100 works, at
least for the one project I tested, but a workaround that
have degraded the actual performance of the H/W by my
estimation of at least two.
It was not written for the real-time performance because
there were somethings missing.  I had to quickly move on
to a different H/W platform because the DDR memory
date rate is too slow for my project, not because of the
network driver.  I actually started to rewrite the driver to
meet the requirement of the real-time programming.
However, it kept getting interrupted by my other higher
priority projects that I could not get this project
completed.  It should be fun to get it finished, but
it is more important to get my other projects done at
this point.

Regards,
Kate