RTEMS Workout @ FOSS.IN [Fwd: [foss.in] FOSS.IN/2009 Call for Participation]

Sun Oct 18 20:40:05 UTC 2009

Aanjhan R wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> FOSS.IN is an annual Free and Open Source Software Conference that
> happens in Bangalore. This time it is from Dec 1-5 2009 and the call
> for participation is out. For more details read the forwarded email
> below.
>
> As Google Summer of Code 2009 students Santosh Vattam and myself are
> planning to propose a RTEMS workout at FOSS.IN. For more details on
> Workout please check the link http://foss.in/about/workout-howto
>
> Last year I was a speaker here and have been part of the conference
> since 2005 (My Free Software journey in fact kick started at this
> conference). List of last year's workouts are here
> http://workouts.foss.in/2008/index.php/Main_Page
>
> So what help are we asking for here?  We are looking for ideas which
> we can plan for this event. We are essentially looking things that can
> be done in a span of 5 days.
>
> Here are some ideas in mind:
>
> * Improving code coverage on sparc BSPs with libcsupport included.

If you decide to do any coverage, I would recommend using
a configuration you can get results locally with a FOSS
simulator.  And picking a single configuration of the coverage
run to do it on.  Qemu from the Couverture project on pc386,
qemuppc, or uC5282 are probably the best options.

Couverture has tools to get more reports out of the runs
but they are not working for us yet.  So that's an entire area.

This is also an area where people could work concurrently without
conflicts.

If you go this route, we probably need to write us some
test writing guidelines for RTEMS and a couple of
shells.
> * Some basic UI stuff - E.g.: Some improvements to Roxana's work.

I will let Roxana comment but there are warnings in the
code and it needs to be able to build on ARM/gumstix to
skyeye.  Beyond that I don't know.
> * Clean ups and documentation.
> * Maybe writing a device driver.

If you are bold and I mean really bold, qemu has
a simulation of various ARM platforms:

http://www.qemu.org/qemu-doc.html#SEC65

I can give you an outline of the tasks to do a BSP
but if you don't get lucky on the prep work, it is
mostly a sequential process that would not be
conducive to multiple people hacking concurrently.
> * Writing a UI in python for Coverage analysis.

Do you have requirements? goals? :)
> If you have something more please add to the list. We will create a
> proper wiki page by end of the day today and collect the proposal plan
> for the workout in there. The last date for submitting workout
> proposals is 26th of Oct 2009. Yes little time. The CfP is hardly open
> for 2 weeks this time around.

I would be conscious of the fact that you don't want to
waste time getting people to install tools.  Handing out
virtual machines or Virtual Machines might be a good thing.

Also someone should be prepared to collect patches at
the end.