RTEMS on Cortex-M3

Fri Oct 15 15:24:09 UTC 2010

  On 10/15/2010 09:44 AM, Steven Grunza wrote:
> Is anyone working on getting RTEMS running on Cortex-M3?  The last I saw
> on the list (this list, the LinkedIn list has been really quiet) was a
> mention to "make sure the processor is supported by the cpukit".  It
> looks like the relevant directory would be rtems/cpukit/score/cpu/arm.

Yes. :-D
> I've never worked in this part of the RTEMS source before and this is my
> first time working with ARM.  I'm starting to wonder if a new directory
> would be a good idea since the Cortex-M3 doesn't have the ".arm" mode
> and always stays in ".thumb" mode; perhaps
> rtems/cpukit/score/cpu/cortex_m.

No.  It would just trip the thumb mode code in the cpukit port.
The compiler should be turning on the right predefines to make
this happen.

There is a BSP for the simulator in gdb (gdbarmsim) which can
be tailored easily for various gcc cpu cflags.  I think it can be
used to get the non-interrupt part of the support done.