posix message queues

Lisa A. Day day at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 10 15:02:25 UTC 2010

Hi All,
I'm experiencing some oddities with the posix msqs, which I'm hopefully
missing some simple tips to overcome (hopefully not missing the point
all together) .
1)  In my app, the API is extremely picky about names - "/" plus 6
characters -- only. Is this correct? I can deal with it, but it took
some time to figure it out.
2) I can spawn mulitple threads from the POSIX_init process no problem,
but I can't spawn a thread from one of its child processes. Is there a
trick or caveat to accomplishing this?

Thanks - and if anyone knows of some good tech notes or documentation
for this API that I haven't found, that would be helpful...