RTEMS Developers List is available.

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Dec 7 04:35:05 UTC 2011

On 12/05/2011 07:32 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Am 05.12.2011 18:41, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> There was no consensus.
>
> After the first proposal, there where some complaints (also from my
> side). The concept of the mailing lists was refined then and some
> details concerning the usage were laid out. Then there was no further
> traffic concerning the new mailing lists.
This matches with my memory - I would have expected Chris to have
contacted the SC to let it decide on this controversal topic.

This did not happen - Instead he went ahead and implemented facts.

> Maybe we need a formal decision process?
Yes.

> I don't think it should be a
> "all agree or nothing changes" process.
Certainly not ... but it also must not be a "I have the powers, so I do
it" process (THE problem in RTEMS) nor a "publicity contest" (A problem
e.g. Fedora and Ubuntu suffer from).

> Any idea how this is handled in
> other OS projects?
Better lead projects have bodies who decide upon what to do (e.g.
steering committees).

I had presumed this was amongst the RTEMS SC's jobs - Apparently I was
wrong.

>>> Agreed.
>> Disagreed. What you did was to circumvent the decision process and a
>> case of abuse of the powers you have been granted.
>
> Again: which process?
Strategically important decisions, such as implementing a project's
lists do not belong into the hands of single individuals.

They belong into the hands of the people who are leading and guiding a
project. In case of RTEMS in my understanding this is the RTEMS SC.

> Where is the decision process for the RTEMS SC
> defined?
Nowhere.

That said, IMO, the RTEMS SC needs to be strengthened or it shall be
formally shut down and all former RTEMS-SC discussions be performed in
public.

>>> This also follows the practice of other large free software projects.
>>> Many projects have a developer, patches, and user help list.
>>
>> Pardon? No sane project maps bugzilla and commits to a devel list,
>> because bugreports and commit lists annoy developers.
>
> Hm, at least now RTEMS doesn't do this either. bugzilla and version
> control has separate lists.

 From Chris's initial mail:
"I will also change the rtems-bugs and rtems-vc list to read only. The
reply-to address will be set to the developers list."

<further comments disclosed>

Ralf