Debugging RTEMS application on Power architecture target

Nick Withers nick.withers at anu.edu.au
Sun Jun 23 23:39:10 UTC 2013

Hi Tim et al.,

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 08:55 +0100, Tim Cussins wrote:
> On 21/06/13 07:49, Nick Withers wrote:
> > ...which leaves me looking at the (pretty expensive, IMHO) BDI3000s and
> > PEEDIs (any other suggestions for alternatives warmly accepted! Anyone
> > tried a Wind River ICE 2?), over the MVME3100's COP port.
>
> We've used a BDI3000 for a few projects - it's been very good, in my
> experience. ARM and PPC.

Good to hear - thanks.

> > Is my understanding correct? Alternate options I heven't thought of?
> > Perhaps I could actually run a full-blown GDB on the target? That'd
> > presumably be a big binary and use a bit of memory (got 256 MiB though),
> > but still...?
>
> I'm not sure what's available in the RTEMS codebase, but we've used
> Till's excellent GDB stub, on PPC405, for a few years:
>

> https://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/package/rtems/doc/html/rtems-gdb-stub/rtems-gdb-stub.html
>
> HTH,

It sure does, Tim, thanks!

Seems I was a bit quick writing that one off - I'll have another play.

--
Nick Withers

Embedded Systems Programmer
Room 2.26, Building 57
Department of Nuclear Physics
Research School of Physics and Engineering
The Australian National University (CRICOS: 00120C)

eMail: nick.withers at anu.edu.au
Phone: +61 2 6125 2091
Mobile: +61 414 397 446