toolchain versions (was Re: compile error in dwmac-desc-enh.c)

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Aug 6 21:51:56 UTC 2014

On 8/6/2014 4:45 PM, Michael Davidsaver wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 04:37 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> This would be helpful if I has only building for myself, however I'm
>>> working to update my Debian packaging for 4.11.  This is fairly
>>> straightforward for when I can just get the source and patch it myself.
>>>  I'm not sure about trying to incorporate another layer of build system.
>>>
>>> Where are the latest patches being kept?
>> We are trying to have better source code management of the patches and
>> track them
>> in a distribution format independent manner.  The patches are kept at:
>>
>> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools in the tools subdirectory.
>>
>> The RSB has the preferred set of patches for each target in a .bset file
>> for each target
>> and RTEMS branch. It also describes where to fetch patches. It should be
>> able to
>> build binaries on any host.
> With a little decoding I think I've identified gcc 4.8.2 w/ newlib 2.1.0
> as the latest based on released versions.  More recent seems to pull in
> newlib from CVS (which I don't care to package)
When Chris comes online, he may be able to give you some advice on how to
extract the source and patch URLs in a way that would be easy to digest.

You would be the first consumer of the configuration so we want it to be
easy
for the Debian packages to track the RSB.
> Is it worthwhile for me to package 4.8.2+2.1.0 at this point, or should
> I wait for a 4.11 release?

Go ahead and package one up. The tools appear to be pretty stable at
this point.