RTEMS available tasks

Andre Marques andre.lousa.marques at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:30:42 UTC 2014

On 01/27/14 12:56, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2014-01-27 13:30, Andre Marques wrote:
>> On 01/27/14 08:00, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> this is nice.

>>> Which BSP do you use?  If you want to work with a simulator BSP,
>>> then you
>>> should have a look at the arm/realview_pbx_a9_qemu BSP since it
>>> offers a NULL
>>> pointer read and write protection.  Qemu is also a fast simulator which
>>> provides support for GDB watch points.  This is quite handy for
>>> development
>>> and test suite runs.
>>>
>> I'm using the pc386 BSP using Qemu with the pc386 script provided on
>> rtems_testing. Only today I tested GDB with Qemu, which I'm finding a
>> bit
>> tricky with the pc386 script because as soon as the program finishes
>> It closes
>> Qemu, so I can't connect to the gdb server. To solve that I used the
>> instructions on the Wiki about Qemu (which seems to be a little
>> outdated, so I
>> needed to change some steps) and I can now load a program and connect
>> to the
>> gdb server, but I don't have the symbol table for any program. I
>> can't recall
>> enabling debugging during the rtems configure stage, but will that
>> generate
>> symbol tables for every compiled program? Can't I just generate a
>> symbol table
>> for a specific program?
>
> With the arm/realview_pbx_a9_qemu BSP I use this.
>
> 1. Start Qemu in one window:
>
> qemu-system-arm -nographic -M realview-pbx-a9 -m 256M -kernel app.exe
> -s -S
>
> 2. Connect with GDB:
>
> arm-rtems4.11-gdb app.exe
>
> tar remote :1234
> load
> continue
>
> You don't have to restart Qemu to load a new program, e.g. you can use
> the following GDB function:
>
> def new
> make
> monitor system_reset
> load
> continue
> end

Well, for me Qemu seems to be having some problems with the output,
because I can set breakpoints, and run the code on the remote target,
but Qemu doesn't show any output (with -nographic, and different
consoles), or shows the output for the program passed with the -kernel
parameter, regardless of what gdb says that is printing.

For now I guess I'm leaving this as it is, as I've tried for several
hours already to make the output work.

On pc386 the -S option leads to a fatal error, because when loading the
program it seems to load it on the Bios memory space. If I dont use that
option all seems to work. As for arm, I could't get any output.