Beaglebone Bootloader

Cláudio Silva claudiodcsilva at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 08:44:29 UTC 2015

Hello Angelo,

I am using the following script snippet to generate a u-boot bootable image
from an RTEMS .exe:
https://gist.github.com/cdcs/0c789e9aae9e79200da5
It essentially follows the steps described in Ben's README.

If you are using application=/TICKER in the script, it will try to load
something called TICKER from the tftp root (without any extension).

Did you try with the u-boot that comes preloaded in the BBB?
You can just try boot the linux version provided in the BBB's emmc and then
change the uEnv.txt ("/boot/uboot/uEnv.txt") to your tftp version of uEnv.
You shouldn't need the sdcard.

Best Regards,
Cláudio

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:59 AM Angelo Fraietta <
newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au> wrote:

> If it is any help. this is the configuration on my SDCard that loads
> debian linux from SDCard.
>
> ##Video: Uncomment to override:
> ##see:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt
> #kms_force_mode=video=HDMI-A-1:1024x768 at 60e
>
> ##Enable systemd
> systemd=quiet init=/lib/systemd/systemd
>
> ##BeagleBone Cape Overrides
>
> ##BeagleBone Black:
> ##Disable HDMI/eMMC
>
> #optargs=capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN,BB-BONE-EMMC-2G
>
> ##Disable HDMI
> #optargs=capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN
>
> ##WIP: v3.13+ capes..
> #cape=lcd4-01
> #cape=
>
> ##note: the eMMC flasher script relies on the next line
> mmcroot=UUID=8f529ad7-82d1-4d8e-91dc-31e9e2080813 ro
> mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait fixrtc
>
> ##These are needed to be compliant with Angstrom's 2013.06.20 u-boot.
> console=ttyO0,115200n8
>
> kernel_file=zImage
> initrd_file=initrd.img
>
> loadaddr=0x82000000
> initrd_addr=0x88080000
> fdtaddr=0x88000000
>
> initrd_high=0xffffffff
> fdt_high=0xffffffff
>
> loadkernel=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${loadaddr} ${kernel_file}
> loadinitrd=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${initrd_addr} ${initrd_file};
> setenv initrd_size ${filesize}
> loadfdt=load mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart} ${fdtaddr} /dtbs/${fdtfile}
>
> loadfiles=run loadkernel; run loadinitrd; run loadfdt
> mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=tty0 console=${console} ${optargs}
> ${kms_force_mode} root=${mmcroot} rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype} ${systemd}
>
> uenvcmd=run loadfiles; run mmcargs; bootz ${loadaddr}
> ${initrd_addr}:${initrd_size} ${fdtaddr}
> #
>

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Angelo Fraietta <
> newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I can see I missed a step from Ben's tutorial where it creates the image
>> file.
>> I copied the image to tftp and it did not work
>>
>> I also tried doing out of Bens tutorial the
>>
>> dd if=bone_hello.exe-sdcard.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096
>>
>> However, nothing was displayed on my monitor and the three LEDS lit,
>> followed by the light on ethernet port. It did this about three times and
>> then booted into normal BBB linux. It looked to me like it was resetting,
>> however, can't be sure.
>>
>> Is someone able to email me a working image for BBB so I can see it that
>> will boot.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Angelo Fraietta <
>> newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Does not boot.
>>> I have u-boot on the SD card. I know it is being called because if I
>>> disconnect the ethernet, it freezes and does not boot. If I remove SDcard
> [...]
>>> serverip=192.168.0.25
>>> netmask=255.255.255.0
>>>
>>> ### XKY-OS : Configuration
>>> baseaddr=0x81000000
>>> application=/TICKER
>>>
>>> ### Boot BBB from network
>>> nfsargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} root=/dev/nfs
>>> nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath} rw
>>> ip=${ipaddr}:${serverip}:${serverip}:${netmask}::eth0:off
>>> xkyboot=run nfsargs; tftp ${baseaddr} ${application}; bootm ${baseaddr}
>>> uenvcmd=run xkyboot
>>>

>>> I have copied ticker.exe to root folder
>>> I tried
>>> application=/TICKER