Building RSB (RTEMS Source Builder) on Windows 10

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Nov 14 02:07:00 UTC 2017

On 14/11/2017 12:46, Jacob Saina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to build RSB 4.11.2, which I obtained from here:
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/4.11.2/

OK.

> using the guide here:
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/doc-online/master/user/index.html
> on a Windows 10 machine, for ARM targets.

The 4.11.2 documentation is available from the docs.rtems.org web site. See
https://docs.rtems.org/ and specifically:

https://docs.rtems.org/releases/rtems-docs-4.11.2/user/index.html

My personal area is just what there is. It must be a search engine.

> I am using MSYS2 with the specified packages installed. My build fails on ark41.
> The error report is attached.
>

> 1) Any insight on this ark41 failure is appreciated.

On Windows the RSB takes the first letter of each part to shorten the length of
the path. This means `ark41` is arm-rtems-kernel-4.11.

> 2) I've noticed that the "rsb-report-arm-rtems4.11-kernel...." file (attached)
> says "RSB: not a valid repo." What does this mean?

I suggest you try a build with `--without-rtems` on the command line. This will
not build RTEMS. You will then need to build RTEMS manually.

> 3) My build seems to take an excessively long time given my hardware -- it fails
> in ~5.5 hours with a brand new laptop with i7, 16GB RAM, and SSDs. My coworker
> had no problems on an older laptop with v4.11.0, and that completed in 3:40.

What was the architecture? Different architectures have a differing number of
libraries and this changes the time needed to build.

Also the RTEMS kernel building builds all BSPs and this arch has a lot of BSPs.
That would take a while.

> 4) I've noticed that virus detection software to really spins up during an RSB
> build, so I've disabled it. (Note that the 5.5 hour figure is with virus
> detection disabled.) Have others noticed this? Will it cause problems?

Disabling virus protection will make things faster.

I will try a build and see if I get what you have reported below.

Chris