Raspberry PI

William Busacker wbusacker at outlook.com
Wed Jan 17 06:28:06 UTC 2018

Angelo,

As far as I know, there are very few people using RTEMS on a Raspberry
Pi Zero (truly a shame to be honest). A few people here and there that
I've found scattered through the mailing list archives, but a lot of
their effort was put towards building the BSP foundation and not
actually using it. The Google Summer of Code project had a few students
work on implementing the BSP as well which is where most of the
peripheral connectivity was done.

Most of the GPIO stuff that you'd expect has been finished. Pin control,
I2C, and SPI all work. SPI could use some extra work however, but if you
play around with it enough it'll go. I've been having all sorts of "fun"
getting it working and seriously need to put together some documentation
on what could be considered strange behavior and how to get it working
in the first place since that isn't well documented. I don't think
hardware PWM works unfortunately (not that I've tried). The boot SD card
isn't mountable either. Can see it and read it, but mounting as part of
the file system doesn't work. I've been meaning to take a crack at that
but don't have the time.

If you haven't run across it already Alan put together a guide a few
years ago going over how to build and setup an RTEMS toolchain here
http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.com/2013/03/rtems-on-raspberry-pi.html?m=1
for the RPi specifically. Just watch out for version numbers and git
repo locations. Some things have been moved around since he made that
blogpost but the RTEMS getting started page should patch the errors for
you.

The only projects that I know of using RTEMS on RPi are a kernel image
project that Alan had worked on and the project that I am working on
which is an active controlling flight computer for high power rockets.

- Will B.