installing Doorstop on macOS (for RTEMS use)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Oct 14 17:42:40 UTC 2019

On 14/10/19 4:07 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 13/10/2019 11:15, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 12/10/19 8:08 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 3:40 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org
>>> <mailto:gedare at rtems.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 8:34 AM Andrew Butterfield
>>>      <Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie <mailto:Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie>>
>>> wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      > Dear RTEMS Users,
>>>      >
>>>      >  Sebastian Huber asked me to check the availability of Doorstop
>>>      (https://pypi.org/project/doorstop/) for macOS, and to report my experience
>>>      on this mailing list.
>>>      >
>>>      >  It is planned to use this for RTEMS requirements in the RTEMS
>>>      qualification project.
>>>      >
>>>      I would like to clarify and request confirmation that the use of
>>>      Doorstop tools will not be required for "casual" RTEMS users.
>>
>> It is the view I have. I cannot confirm the view of others.
>>
>>> It will
>>>      be necessary for RTEMS maintainers and for users who want to be
>>>      involved in the pre-certification effort. Correct?
>>
>> Great question. I do not know.
>
> Yes, RTEMS maintainers and users who want to be involved in the
> pre-qualification effort will have to work with Doorstop and the specification
> items. RTEMS users will not get in touch with Doorstop directly and don't have
> to install it.

Great. It is good to know Doorstop itself holds no state information and the
YAML files that control the build are the same files Doorstop uses. I am fine
with developers and maintainer needing to install and manage more dependencies
including python3 than a standard user.

>>> I have identified some roles for using RTEMS and we may want to discuss those at
>>> another time.
>>
>> Lets then leave this aside until we get to discuss them :)
>>
>>> If this is required when you bootstrap RTEMS, I would consider it something
>>> required by a casual user given that we expect everyone to do that.
>>
>> Then I suggest it does not become part of any bootstrap process.
>
> What do you mean with bootstrap? Calling ./boostrap or ./rtems-bootstrap? My new
> build system prototype doesn't need such a step. You can clone the repository
> and directly start with "./waf configure". You just have to provide a
> "build.ini" file, but this is more or less the same as the old configure command
> line options.

Nice, this makes things simpler.

Chris