Getting version of rtems, and writing files

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Oct 21 22:58:19 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 6:30 PM Shane Thomas <codejoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see anything that looks like source, found a server that has some
> RTEMS folders on it (where the source might of been?) but all that is left
> is a .img file, and a folder full of notes on RTEMS.  Looks like from what
> I see though the version might be 4.6, or 4.7 if that even is in the realm
> of reality?

All of that makes sense and is within the realm of possibility. Both 4.6
and 4.7 are quite old with both being a decade or more old from memory.
There are challenges starting from scratch with versions that old primarily
because the gcc, etc associated with them are correspondingly old.

I suspect you are looking at a boot server and the .img file is a boot
image. That's normal for RTEMS. The source was built on another computer
into that image.

Any chance there is a software repository somewhere?

After that, archaeology is an option. Finding out who built the system
would help you a lot. Is there anyone left who knows?