GSoC Project Introduction

Niteesh G. S. niteesh.gs at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:44:23 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I am Niteesh, a second-year student at Rajalakshmi Engineering College,
Thandalam,
pursuing Electronics and Communication Engineering. I am really happy to
announce
that I have been selected for Google Summer of Code 2020 and will be
working on the
project "Beagle BSP: Add a flattened device tree based initialization".

The Beaglebone BSP in RTEMS supports a variety of board variants like the
BB Black, White, Original, XM. The current BSP uses libBSD to provide
support for peripherals like USB, ETHERNET. The libBSD has a pin muxing
driver which is used by other peripheral drivers. This causes double
initialization of few pins, first, during initialization of RTEMS driver
and the second time during the initialization of libBSD. This project will
fix this by import the pin muxing driver into
RTEMS. As part of this process, the project also aims to refactor some of
the drivers to parse
values from the device tree. This would result in the dynamic
initialization of the BSP and will allow
for the unification of the BSP.

As an end result, we might end up with a single BSP that supports all board
variants and the
following tickets will be closed.
1) #3784 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3784>
2) #3782 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3782>

I would like to thanks the members of RTEMS for providing me this
opportunity.

Thanks,
Niteesh.