stm32h7 bsp - network driver for RTEMS legacy networking

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Nov 27 21:21:34 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020, 2:29 PM Christian Mauderer <oss at c-mauderer.de> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> On 27/11/2020 18:43, John Nathen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to RTEMS and started playing with RTEMS on the STMH32H743ZI
> > Nucleo board using the stm32h7 BSP a few weeks ago; I've got a few basic
> > programs (LED Blink, console output...) to work on this board with minor
> > changes in the configuration.
> >
> > The network driver for this BSP is implemented for libbsd, but I want to
> > use the RTEMS legacy networking due to memory constraints.

How much too large is the footprint? Christian has previously suggested
that there MIGHT be a way to reduce the footprint if we had requirements
for a minimum feature set.

Did you look at disabling features?

> > I've started to develop a networking driver that supports the RTEMS
> > legacy networking but haven't made much progress as I'm new to RTEMS.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has already done a driver implementation or
> > has any suggestions or inputs on how to proceed.
>
> Note that the STM32H7 BSP is one of the newest BSPs. I doubt that anyone
> tried to use it with the legacy stack yet.
>
> Please also note that there have already been some discussions whether
> the legacy stack should be removed. See
>
>   https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-October/062611.html
>
> for one of the latest. I don't think that it will be removed soon as
> long as it don't make some trouble. But I would strongly advice against
> starting a serious project with it.
>
> If libbsd is really too heavy (did you try the minimal config by the
> way?) you might should look into lwIP instead.

+1

The old stack source code will eventually be moved to a limbo repository
and a build system for that will only get added if there is demand
(volunteer or paid core developer).