SPI Driver Implementation

Jan.Sommer at dlr.de Jan.Sommer at dlr.de
Wed Feb 10 07:37:24 UTC 2021

Hi Rick,

You are right, there is currently no implementation for the cadence-SPI on the PS nor for the Xilinx-AXI-SPI for the PL.
I have a driver for the cadence-SPI implemented, but lab access is currently quite limited and I haven't had the chance to test it with hardware.
So my best guess is that it won't work without some debugging. If you want to try your luck and test/debug it, I can send you my current state.

A driver for the Xilinx-AXI-SPI is on my list, but I haven't started any implementation yet.

> Assuming they need to be developed, I looked at the RTEMS 6 BSP and
> Driver Guide that specifies the use of the "SPI bus framework". However, I
> have looked at some of the Arm BSPs included with RTEMS and they all seem
> to use the libi2c library that is part of the cpukit. It claims to support both I2C
> and SPI.

I think the preferred way is to use the libi2c API for i2c devices only and use the Linux spidev API for SPI devices.
In the docs are a few drivers which already implement the spidev API (https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/bsp-howto/spi.html).
For the cadence-SPI driver I used the general layout of the NXP i.MX SPI driver linked there and implemented it according to the data sheet from Xilinx.

Best regards,

    Jan