Ultra96-V2 Xilinx Zynq Cortex-R5 support

Juan Solano jsm at jsolano.com
Sat Feb 20 15:06:46 UTC 2021

Thanks Joel and Kinsey,

I agree that QEMU is a good option to get familiar with the OS, but while learning, I am also doing some benchmarks and comparing performance on a number of boards I have around. I have a Hercules Cortex-R5 board but this is not supported and I don't think any other current BSP supports R5, or for that matter, any newer design like R8 or R52. I wonder why I don't see more traction on Cortex-R in general in the scientific or real-time community. Perhaps it is used more broadly on custom designs and there are not so many off-the-shelf boards.

There is a BSP for a TI Hercules R4 but I was expecting not to diverge too much as I am not very familiar with the Cortex-R family and it would take me quite some time to adapt it to Cortex-R5. After all I am doing this in my spare time and I was hoping to get familiar with the system and get a feeling on how the HW performs without going deep in integrating a new board.

The Trenz board looks quite good, I will have a look. On the other hand, I hear that the Avnet board is used for research / prototyping by some groups in ESA.

Regards,
Juan.