Manually building a BSP from branch 5 of git

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijay at rtems.org
Wed May 26 14:31:23 UTC 2021

Hi all,

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 6:02 AM Christian MAUDERER
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> Am 26.05.21 um 08:10 schrieb Johnson, Andrew N.:
> > Hi Vijay,
> >
> > On May 25, 2021, at 8:18 PM, Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org
> > <mailto:vijay at rtems.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >> I found the 5.1 docs version from rtems ftp. This looks like the right
> >> one:
> >> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/5/5.1/docs/html/user/start/bsp-build.html#manual-bsp-build
> >> <https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/5/5.1/docs/html/user/start/bsp-build.html#manual-bsp-build>
> >
> > Excellent, thanks – I would have expected that version of the User
> > Manual to be linked from the Releases table of https://devel.rtems.org/
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/> on the row for branch 5.
> >

> > How do I set BSP options like this flag to RSB?
> >
> >>     --with-rtems-bspopts="BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600”
> >

> You pass it to the configure line as BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600
>

> With the old build system, the steps are basically:
>
> - bootstrap (if you haven't done so) in the rtems source directory:
>
>    path/to/rtems-source-builder/source-builder/sb-bootstrap
>
> - create a build directory and call configure:
>
>    path/to/rtems-sources/configure \
>      --target=$(MACHINE)-rtems5 \
>      --prefix=$(PREFIX) \
>      --enable-posix \
>      --enable-rtemsbsp=$(BSP) \
>      --enable-maintainer-mode \
>      --disable-networking \
>      --enable-tests=samples \
>      CONSOLE_POLLED=1 \
>      BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600
>
>    NOTE: This is copied from one of my older builds. You most likely
> have to adapt some options (like posix or networking).
>
> - make and install the bsp:
>
>    make
>    make install
>

> > Does the --enable-networking flag to configure do the equivalent of this
> > RSB flag?
> >
> >>     --with-rtems-legacy-network
>
> I'm not 100% sure but I would say: Yes, it is.
>

> > If that’s the case would I have to build the libbsd network stack as a
> > separate build?
>
> Be carefull: There is libbsd and there is the legacy stack. If your BSP
> uses the legacy stack that is the one that you enable with the configure
> option. On the 5 branch it is still integrated in RTEMS (I think -
> Vijay: correct me if I'm wrong). If your BSP uses libbsd, that would be
> an extra build.

+1
The libbsd needs to be built separately and the RTEMS configure needs
to have --disable-networking option.
You can also build libbsd from RSB with a similar command to the following:

../source-builder/sb-set-builder --prefix=$RTEMS_PREFIX
--host=powerpc-rtems5 --with-rtems-bsp=mvme2100 5/rtems-libbsd

> If you used --with-rtems-legacy-network on the RSB, I think you only
> have to use --enable-networking during configure.

Yes.

Best regards,
Vijay