Manually building a BSP from branch 5 of git

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Wed May 26 12:02:29 UTC 2021

Hello Andrew,

Am 26.05.21 um 08:10 schrieb Johnson, Andrew N.:
> Hi Vijay,
>
> On May 25, 2021, at 8:18 PM, Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org
> <mailto:vijay at rtems.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I found the 5.1 docs version from rtems ftp. This looks like the right
>> one:
>> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/5/5.1/docs/html/user/start/bsp-build.html#manual-bsp-build
>> <https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/5/5.1/docs/html/user/start/bsp-build.html#manual-bsp-build>
>
> Excellent, thanks – I would have expected that version of the User
> Manual to be linked from the Releases table of https://devel.rtems.org/
> <https://devel.rtems.org/> on the row for branch 5.
>

> How do I set BSP options like this flag to RSB?
>
>>     --with-rtems-bspopts="BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600”

You pass it to the configure line as BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600

With the old build system, the steps are basically:

- bootstrap (if you haven't done so) in the rtems source directory:

   path/to/rtems-source-builder/source-builder/sb-bootstrap

- create a build directory and call configure:

   path/to/rtems-sources/configure \
     --target=$(MACHINE)-rtems5 \
     --prefix=$(PREFIX) \
     --enable-posix \
     --enable-rtemsbsp=$(BSP) \
     --enable-maintainer-mode \
     --disable-networking \
     --enable-tests=samples \
     CONSOLE_POLLED=1 \
     BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD=9600

   NOTE: This is copied from one of my older builds. You most likely
have to adapt some options (like posix or networking).

- make and install the bsp:

   make
   make install

> Does the --enable-networking flag to configure do the equivalent of this
> RSB flag?
>
>>     --with-rtems-legacy-network

I'm not 100% sure but I would say: Yes, it is.

> If that’s the case would I have to build the libbsd network stack as a
> separate build?

Be carefull: There is libbsd and there is the legacy stack. If your BSP
uses the legacy stack that is the one that you enable with the configure
option. On the 5 branch it is still integrated in RTEMS (I think -
Vijay: correct me if I'm wrong). If your BSP uses libbsd, that would be
an extra build.

If you used --with-rtems-legacy-network on the RSB, I think you only
have to use --enable-networking during configure.

Best regards

Christian

> Thanks,
>
> - Andrew
>

>> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM Johnson, Andrew N. <anj at anl.gov
>> <mailto:anj at anl.gov>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m trying to develop fixes for issues that I’m seeing in some of the
>>> powerpc/motorola_powerpc BSPs, and I’m working on the 5 branch (it
>>> doesn’t look like those have been fixed on the master branch yet
>>> either). I have built the tools and those BSPs before using RSB but
>>> now I need to build my modified sources, and I think the docs say
>>> that I have to do that manually. That’s fine, but unfortunately the
>>> instructions at 2.5.2. Manual BSP Build seem to be for the master
>>> branch and don’t work for me because there was no waf script present
>>> on branch 5. Are there any alternative instructions that I can follow
>>> to do a manual build of this branch?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> - Andrew
>>>
>>> --
>>> Complexity comes for free, simplicity you have to work for.

> --
> Complexity comes for free, simplicity you have to work for.

embedded brains GmbH
Herr Christian MAUDERER
Dornierstr. 4
82178 Puchheim