RFC: Move Away from Freenode

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Fri May 28 06:57:01 UTC 2021

Hello Joel,

Am 27.05.21 um 22:20 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
> Hi
>
> Community input is needed and appreciated!
>
> The #rtems IRC server (freenode.net <http://freenode.net/>) has
> undergone some turmoil and we need to discuss what to do. This email
> provides some hopefully unbiased background on the Freenode situation,
> the options I identified, and my personal recommendation.
>
> If you follow the nerdy type of news, you may be aware of some serious
> turmoil. I won't even try to rehash all the news but the basic outline
> is that the owner of the domain name has pushed some uncool things,
> forcing some elected leaders out, most/all the volunteers have left,
> etc. There is some concern that any information on freenode will be
> commercialized. This isn't much except for registered users who have a
> nickname and password. That much should all be covered here with lots of
> links.
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freenode_staff_resigns/
> <https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freenode_staff_resigns/>
>
> This is a starting point to read things from the volunteer viewpoint
> that was posted to a GCC mailing list:
>
> https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409
> <https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409>
>
> At this point, open source projects are bailing on Freenode for
> libera.chat which was founded and setup by Freenode volunteers. I saw
> over 400 projects have moved to the libera.chat. Showing the tone of
> what's happening at Freenode, if libera.chat was mentioned in a channel,
> the admins for that channel had their permissions removed and new admins
> were assigned. This has only increased the rate of the exodus.
>
> https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbgvg/major-internet-projects-are-leaving-freenode-after-korean-prince-takeover
> <https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbgvg/major-internet-projects-are-leaving-freenode-after-korean-prince-takeover>
>
> Our Discord setup seems to be doing well and is more active than I ever
> saw on IRC. The question to the community is what should we do? Options are:
>
> (1) Drop Freenode and IRC entirely. Focus on Discord
> (2) Drop Freenode. Add libre.chat (or another). Still keep Discord
> (3) Drop Freenode. Drop Discord. Focus on IRC on libre.chat (or another).
>
> I'm leaning to (1) but whatever we do, the git commit -> IRC bot is
> down/broken and will have to be addressed. If we commit completely to
> Discord, we need bot(s) there and git commits need to go to Discord.

I still think it's a bit odd to say "Drop Freenode" because Freenode
seems to go into a more commercial direction but at the same time say
that the Discord (which seems to be commercial through and through) is a
good alternative.

In other words: As long as we don't mind using Discord, I would just
keep the Freenode IRC just like it is.

> Even if we go with (1), it may make sense to claim #rtems on the two IRC
> servers that open source projects are moving to. Just in case something
> else happens, we will have those channels reserved and some admins lined
> up. But we can leave them unused.

Note that some users might find these channels and try to get support there.

> If anyone knows or wants to now about Discord bots, I am sure help would
> be appreciated.

Seems that Discord supports web hooks:

https://discord.com/developers/docs/resources/webhook#execute-webhook

So it's more or less generating json-data.

Best regards

Christian

> What does everyone thing should happen?
>
> --joel