RFC: Move Away from Freenode

Johnson, Andrew N. anj at anl.gov
Fri May 28 15:17:11 UTC 2021

On May 28, 2021, at 1:57 AM, Christian MAUDERER <christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de<mailto:christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:

I still think it's a bit odd to say "Drop Freenode" because Freenode seems to go into a more commercial direction but at the same time say that the Discord (which seems to be commercial through and through) is a good alternative.

In other words: As long as we don't mind using Discord, I would just keep the Freenode IRC just like it is.

I’m not an IRC (or Discord) user so I won’t be affected whatever you decide, but I wouldn’t categorize what has been happening at Freenode as “going in a more commercial direction.” The fact that any mention of Libera.chat in a channel now seems to result in that organization’s channels being taken over may be more of a risk than the RTEMS community would want to take. If Joel were to have even raised this question there you might have already lost control of those channels.

If you want more of the back-story, here’s a free link to Wednesday's LWN article at https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/857140/9dcadcf209612879/ which is more up to date than The Register story that Joel linked to.

- Andrew

--
Complexity comes for free, simplicity you have to work for.