GSoC 2020: Location for FreeBSD files in RTEMS

Niteesh G. S. niteesh.gs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:02:25 UTC 2020

Hello,

The current directory structure I have been using in my GSoC project
for the FreeBSD drivers is giving me troubles while installing/including
the headers.

The current structure of the drivers is as follows
cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd --> After this we follow the FreeBSD file
structure

Eg: ti_pinmux.h is placed under sys/arm/ti/ti_pinmux.h in FreeBSD
     In RTEMS this is placed under
     cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd/sys/arm/ti/ti_pinmux.h

And the files implemented to make porting easier are placed under
cpukit/libfreebsd/rtems
You can find these files here
https://github.com/gs-niteesh/rtems/tree/rtemsbsd/cpukit/libfreebsd/rtems
I have already started a discussion and written a blog about these files
please check out
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-July/060541.html
With the current structure, we aren't able to include the header files in
BSP and test suite directory.

The spec file for libfreebsd can be found here
https://github.com/gs-niteesh/rtems/blob/pinmux-rtems-6/spec/build/cpukit/objfreebsd.yml

After a discussion regarding this with Christian, he suggested to break out
of the FreeBSD structure and place the header files under cpukit/include
and install them with FreeBSD like structure.
I tried this and was able to include the headers in the BSP and testsuite
directory.
On using this approach we have the following structure.
FreeBSD header files are under
cpukit/include
FreeBSD source files under
cpukit/libfreebsd/freebsd

We will also be using the same approach for the files that have implemented
to make porting easier.
All the headers will be placed under
cpukit/include
The source files under
cpukit/libfreebsd/rtems ( Currently we are having only one source file).

I kindly request everyone to quickly provide their feedback on this
structure
since this is hampering my progress. If you don't like this structure please
suggest something better.

Thank you,
Niteesh.