PowerPC was Re: Need help choosing target board...

Thu Aug 23 16:55:54 UTC 2001

Maarten.Kruger at ziton.spx.com wrote:

> Good day,
>
> We are investigating using RTEMS as a real-time embedded operating system
> in a life-critical product...  We are currently using the 386EX with no
> operating system (which makes me a total newbie to RTEMS).  We would like
> to get a "demo" system up and running in only 3 months, preferably using
> the powerPC processor...
>
> Can it be done?
> Which powerPC evaluation board do you recomend (I would like the quickest,
> 'easiest' target platform, with the most features, so we can investigate
> all the 'nifty' features that we haven't had acces to without an operating
> system...  At the same time the product in the end shouldn't be much larger
> than 1MB flash and 512K RAM - more or less...  But I'd rather have a bigger
> system and make it smaller later...)
>
> Any recommendations?

Those memory requirements are pretty low by PowerPC standards.  I supposed
for quick evaluations, the Motorola MBX series or the FADS boards.  Someone
on the list posted they have a BSP for a FADS board but I have not seen it
yet.

Specifically what features do you want/need?